Fortunately, a little planning, a few tips, and mindful eating can go along way in helping you enjoy these upcoming feasts.
- What are you planning on serving?
- Can I bring something?
- May I offer you a recipe to prepare?
- Is the meal being catered? May I have their contact information?
How to prepare for the occasion:
- Eat a snack before you go
- Prepare a safe dish, enough to serve everyone
- Anticipate questions for why you’re not eating the food
- Let the host know ahead of time that you have food intolerances
- Call the catering company to find out about menu items and prepartion techniques
Things to do at the event to minimize the risk of getting sick:
- Pay a visit to the kitchen to see how food is being prepared
- Avoid or limit alcohol
- Do not use this time as a time to experiment with your diet
- Steer clear of fatty, greasy foods, rich sauces and other common food triggers
- Do not accept room temperature foods
Follow these guidelines for better digestion:
- Take small bites
- Chew food very well
- Eat slowly
- Maintain good posture during and after eating
- Put fork down in between bites
- Do not talk with your mouth full