Consequently, more and more people are relying on food prepared away from home. However, these foods are generally higher in calories, sugar, salt, and unhealthy fats.
Even “healthy” choices from restaurants tend to be worse for us than the same ones prepared at home.
To help you eat comfortably and healthy at home on these hot days, check out these nutritious easy-to-make no-cook sandwich recipes.
- Roughly chopped marinated artichoke hearts, mashed white beans (drain and rinse canned beans), and spinach leaves
- Sardines or salmon (canned is OK), sliced hard-boiled egg, thinly sliced red onion, and roughly chopped kalamata olives
- All-natural almond butter, sliced apple, and a drizzle of raw honey
- Thick slices of extra-sharp cheddar cheese, mashed avocado, halved cherry tomatoes, and thinly sliced red onion
- Fresh (preferably organic) sliced turkey breast, strips of bell pepper, sun dried tomatoes, and hummus
- Avocado, lettuce, and tomato (ALT)
Serve on your choice of fresh bread, pita, or wrap.
Avoiding starch? No problem. Combine fillings and stuff into a scooped out cucumber "boat", pile on long-slices of zucchini and wrap up (like a pinwheel), sandwich in between two portobello mushrooms, or place in a lettuce wrap.